Palette Knife Abstract Painting workshop with Marion R. Anderson
Time & Location
About the Event
When: Monday Mar. 15/19
Mem: $85 Non-Mem: $95
Material list provided
This is one of my favourite classes as it leads the student to taking off in so many directions once they have experienced the technique!
Our morning starts with selecting a number of design possibilities taken from a very small part of a glossy magazine photo. Several examples are shown and a demonstration on how to proceed to the next step in our sketchbooks follows.
After transferring our shapes to newsprint, analyzing and improving the overall composition, we trace the master plan onto canvas.
The afternoon starts with colour mixing from a triad of primary colours plus white. Decisions regarding colour placement comes next.
Following another demonstration, application onto the canvas with a palette knife finishes off our afternoon followed by a class critique. Depending on the complexity of the design chosen by the student, the canvases may not be totally complete by days end.
This will be a fabulous way to kick start your spring painting plans!
- a 16x16” square or 16x20” rectangular , regular or gallery style canvas, your choice
- a couple of plastic or metal, triangular shaped palette knives
- your sketchbook
- a magazine you can rip up
-a black sharpie fine point , (not ultra fine )marker
- pencil ,eraser
- 3 tubes of acrylic paint in the primary colours of your choosing - red, yellow and blue plus white and black
- a peel-able paper palette
- water containers and paper towels
- a couple long handled acrylic brushes for detail work
- don’t forget your lunch!